Saturday, June 19, 2010

Scuba Report: By Popular Demand - Cairo

Breathing under water for the first time is a revelation for most people. The same was true for me. I learned that I am really really really scared of drowning. That combined with the fact that I am not strong swimmer turned me into the world's biggest wuss the first two days I went diving. Luckily my instructor had more faith in my abilities than I did. He kept pushing me and pushing me every time I wanted to call it day. I think a lesser man would have given up on me.

Everything came together on my last day and I finally got the hang of it. On my last dive breathing underwater seems as normal as breathing above water. All the little discomforts I had been focusing on melted away and I started paying attention to the amazing sea life surrounding me. The coral reefs of the Red Sea are an incredible sight. As the cliché goes, it is a strange and wonderful world under the sea. The highlights of my dive included hovering next to an octopus and seeing a manta ray and barracuda. If you want to know more about the experience go diving yourself. After all the hemming and hawing, I am really glad I did.

1 comment:

  1. Coral reefs really are another world aren't they? I'm really glad that you got to experience one as a diver. Congratulations on getting certified!

    ReplyDelete