Thursday, June 17, 2010

On Tourism: Luxor - Senmut Bed and Breakfast


Luxor is a maddening city. I am counting the hours until I escape tomorrow morning. Part of me wishes I had never left the peace and quiet of Dahab but I know that I would have regretted skipping the ruins located here.

Unlike Dahab, my expectations for Luxor were much higher. The initial drive from the airport to the Senmut Bed and Breakfast, located in the largely agricultural West Bank only raised my expectations. Luxor, seen from the comfort of my taxi, comprised of lush agricultural land on either side of the Nile buttressed by rugged mountains. The scene was breathtakingly beautiful. The city appeared to be worlds away from the hustle and bustle of Cairo or the kitsch of Dahab. It is not hard to see why Luxor became the cultural center of ancient Egypt. Initially, I thought the people of Luxor probably measured their days based on the needs of land. Spending a few hours in Luxor, however, quickly disabused me of such romantic notions.

Thomas Cook brought mass tourism to Egypt when his first tour group arrived in 1869. Nearly 150 years later, the tourism industry has left indelible impact on the people of Luxor. At this point the only other industry, outside of agriculture, is catering to tourists. As a result, every foreigner is seen as an opportunity to make money. Walking down the Corniche an-Nil one is met with a barrage of offers; everyone a great deal. There is not a moment of peace anywhere near the many attractions Luxor has to offer. Every transaction is also fraught the peril. If you have not signed a contract in blood before hand the price is likely to be astronomical. Even if there is an agreement that is no guarantee that the person will not try squeeze a few more pounds out of you based on some flimsy pretense. And frankly, it has left me exhausted.

All in all I spent the same amount of money in my two nights in Luxor as I would have if I had been on a package tour. I do wonder if taking a package tour would have made more sense. On one hand it would have cost the same without any of the hassles. On the other hand very little of the income from package tours trickles down to the residents of Luxor. The bulk of the income from package tours probably ends up as profit for the operators, with a small portion going towards the salaries of those lucky enough to have such jobs. Leaving most of the population out of the income stream and giving them no choice but to eek out an existence by competing aggressively for the remaining tourist dollars. Not only does this not improve the lives of the residents of Luxor, it also forces independent travelers to bear the brunt of their aspirations. It is a classic example of the deleterious effects of mass tourism, and something I had yet to encounter in Egypt. That being said, after my experiencing, I would not blame anyone for choosing the comforts of a cruise ship and guided tours when visiting Luxor.

No comments:

Post a Comment